The Food Addiction Institute is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, separate from ACORN, that advocates for abstinence-based food addiction recovery. Phil, Mary and many in the ACORN network were involved in founding FAI in 2005. FAI is preparing to launch a nationwide campaign, “Just Say It! Addiction to Food is Real! Recovery is Possible!”
As an alumni and/or friend of ACORN, you have a unique perspective on the value of this work with food addicts and understand the importance of spreading the word to others. In order to do this effectively, the FAI campaign needs a paid professional staff to coordinate this project at a minimum of $100,000 per year.
I invite you to consider supporting this campaign by making a contribution in either of two ways:
- First: Make a tax-free contribution online to The Community Foundation of Sarasota County’s 24-hour 2018 Giving Challenge beginning at 12:00 p.m. (noon) May 1 and ending 12:00 p.m. (noon) May 2. A live link will be released prior to the start of the Giving Challenge. Every donation will be “MATCHED” up to $100! We will send out a reminder email with details prior to that day and a final reminder email on the morning of May 1. Please see the FAI Newsletter for more information.
- Second: Consider becoming a sustaining supporter to the campaign. Either pledge to contribute or raise $1,000 per year for 3 years. If 100 of us do this, the campaign will be financially self-sustaining.
The goals of the campaign include:
- Normalize food addiction as a disease.
- Achieve 10% of doctors and health professionals screening for food addiction.
- Present a website that both doctors and their patients can consult for the most current resources for treatment.
If you have questions, please contact Elsie Khamis, M. Ed., Campaign Coordinator and Secretary to the Board of Directors, at 773-729-8043 or email@example.com.
Feel free to share this information with others who are interested in improving the recovery climate and services for food addiction. Thank you for your consideration.
Upcoming ACORN Events
- May 4 – 9 ~ – Primary Intensive
- May 10 – 16 ~ Living in Recovery
- May 18 – 20 ~ Alumni Retreat: Blocks to Working Steps 4 – 9
- June 8 – 13 ~ Primary Intensive
- June 15 – 17 ~ Alumni Retreat: Recovery and Relapse Prevention
- June 18 – 23 ~ Living in Recovery